If you are seeking further information about your health, this excellent website will give you access to relevant and up-to-date information on a wide range of medical conditions.
For more on learning to manage any long term conditions you may like to look at the reading list at the local library. Fit for work, a voluntary service that offers the wider working population access to occupational health advice and support, can help plan return to work after illness.
For some of the more frequently used information sheets, click on the links below.
- During a telephone or video consultation you may be asked to check your own pulse and respiratory rate. Learn how from these videos. The second is designed for medical professionals, but seems the best available at this time.
- My Health My Way – Support and coaching for people with long-term health conditions
- Not all eye conditions need GP or hospital care. You can self refer for NHS opthalmology telephone service on 0800 1120070 or find a participating optician
- If you find it difficult to live safely and independently in your home, you can find help from my life my care.
- www.selfcareforum.org – helping you develop, protect, maintain and improve your health, wellbeing or wellness.
- Access Dorset – Access Dorset is a user led organisation and registered charity, run by disabled people, older people and carers. We work to remove the physical, attitudinal and communication barriers that exist and are faced daily by us.
- Advice on your home medicine cabinet and paracetamol for the meningitis B vaccination.
- Local cancer support.
- Crohn’s and colitis UK
- Get the best out of repeat prescriptions
- Prescribing of over the counter medications
Children and young people:
- Healthier together wessex – advice on common childhood complaints and when to ask for help.
- Chat health School nurse led confidential advice service for young people aged 11-17.
- Relate provide Family, couple, young people & children’s councelling services. Dorchester Office 01302 380 900
- Kooth (Online counselling for young people)
- Chesil Family Partnership Zone – 01305 225750 or email – offer a drop in service for children and families going through any challenging times Weymouth Library Wednesdays 1030-1230
- Dorset Child and family Counselling Trust – paid for service but subsidised if on low income.
- Children and teenage mental health
- Child and Adolescent mental health service (CAMHS).
- Vulovaginitis information & Sheet 2
- Flu-like illness
- Sore throat
- Eczema – how much emollient to use.
- Exercises for vertigo
- Self referral for NHS physiotherapy
- Back pain
- Exercises for back pain
- Tennis elbow exercises
- Shoulder pain
- Neck Pain
- Exercises for Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis
- Exercises for knee pain
- Is knee or hip replacement surgery the right choice for me?
- Dorset Pain Management Service
- For help in a crisis
- The retreat – for anyone in crisis
- Steps to Wellbeing – The Steps to Wellbeing Service is a free, confidential NHS service for to people aged 18+ providing a service across the county of Dorset.
- Online cognitive behavioural therapy (not free).
Keeping Healthy with Livewell Dorset
- High BP
- Preventing heart disease
- Diet/information about pre-diabetes or in video form
- Diet for IBS